Working for us
We are a successful and thriving Sixth Form College with Beacon Status. Our Ofsted Report 2012 was published in November 2012, and we were awarded a clean sweep of grade 1s and the College overall was graded 1 Outstanding.
About 60% of our students come from Brighton and Hove, but many come from other state and independent schools throughout Sussex. The same variety of backgrounds, cultures and interests that make the Brighton area unique, also makes the College a lively, stimulating place to work.
There are approximately 2000 students on roll, of whom approximately 95% follow Level 3 courses (mostly AS and A levels), with the other students following a variety of one year courses. Most of the latter are following Vocational Intermediate level or GCSE programmes. The vast majority of our students are in the 16-19 age range, and following full-time courses. We have a strong local reputation for the academic success of our students and for our focus on individuals’ needs.
We are very proud of the achievements of our students and very much value the individual contribution that each of our staff make to our continuing success. Our recent staff satisfaction survey found that nearly 90% of staff at BHASVIC enjoyed their job.
The College is within walking distance of Brighton town centre, Brighton train station and is on a main bus route. There is free car parking on site for staff (subject to availability) and covered and secure racks for bicycles.
We offer a good package of employee benefits including:
- A family friendly approach to help achieve a healthy work/life balance.
- Membership of the Teachers’ Pension Scheme for all our teaching staff.
- Membership of the Local Government Pension Scheme for all our support staff.
- 24 days annual leave entitlement for our support staff which increases to 29 days after 5 years service (plus 8 days bank holiday).
- Opportunities for training and professional development
- We support the principles of the ‘Living Wage’
- Childcare Vouchers
- Cycle Scheme
- Canteen and café on site for both staff and students
- Free tea, coffee and newspapers provided in the staff room
Staff Well Being
- Free Counselling and Occupational Health Service
- Discounts at local shops and businesses including gym membership
- Opportunity to apply for a year out after a qualifying period
- Family friendly policies
Staff Development Opportunities
- Induction programme for all staff
- Specific induction programme for new managers
- Management development programme available through FE Sussex
- Free qualification training for staff who qualify.
- Financial support for staff wishing to study for additional qualifications.
- A comprehensive staff development programme for all staff.
- All staff are given the opportunity to discuss their development needs with their line manager at least twice a year.
BHASVIC is committed to safeguarding and promoting the welfare of children and young people and expects all staff and volunteers to share this commitment.
Click here to see current vacancies